Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Hi, Mom

You call before bed

ask about your mother's day


her oxygen saturation is 87% 

on 100% FiO2

peep of 38 pressure support of 25

she's turned on her stomach

and I tried to alternate sides of her face

to prevent the sore from building on her cheek

eating away at the apples, leaving black eschar

over a mash of necrotic tissue underneath

but the demand of that alone--

of pulling one arm back and down

and swimming the other one up

tanked her reserves so much

we thought she'd be brain dead--

there is no runway left


her day isn't going so great


she will probably die


you won't get to say good-bye


and if somehow her body survives

we can't guarantee she will be in there


so I simply say:

The good news is: there is no change

You can infer

The bad news is: there is no change

You sigh, not out of impatience, but hopelessness,

helplessness, exhaustion from worry, from grief, from anxiety,

from imagining a life without her


If the phone in her room is working

I can try to transfer you--just give me a minute

because I have to get some medications together

and gown up before I go inside

so the phone will ring for a while.

Don't hang up.


Hello?  Are you still there?

I shout, slowly, chewing each syllable

it's hard to hear through two layers of masks

and a shield

over vents

and pumps

and alarms

and the muffled voices outside the 

glass sliding door

enclosing this 

pitch black death incubating chamber


Can you hear me?

I'm going to put the phone by her ear

and just so you know I'm going to be in here

giving her medications and taking vitals 

and you may hear some beeps and honks

but it's okay, it's just me, suctioning her 

and working the pumps...


I lay the phone by her ear 

speaker between the pulse ox probe

and the internal jugular triple lumen

that is pumping medicine to keep her sedated

so she won't fight the vent

and fentanyl, so she won't remember

and neo, and levo, and vaso 

to keep her brain from dying

and argatroban

to try to keep her from clotting and dying

receiver by the inline suction


Hi, Mom...